Visit the Smithsonian Institution’s Career Center for brief explanations of the duties and skills needed for a variety of museum jobs.
The following links directly relate to ideas raised in this unit. Pre-selected for teachers and students, these web resources can be used to fuel class discussions and projects, as well as students' independent web explorations.
Share related links you think other teachers or students might like.
More About Museum Jobs
Virtual Trips to Museums: Interactive Sites
Explore some interactive museum collections:
- Investigate the Tate Museum's tremendous art collection and make your own virtual collection there (Tate Museum).
- Check out virtual art collections at the Seattle Art Museum (Seattle Art Museum).
- See 360 degree views as you virtually wander through the Smithsonian (Smithsonian).
What if I Want to Start a Museum?
- Read an article about starting a museum (Time Magazine).
Meeting Museum People
If there is a museum of any kind in your community, see if a director or curator could come to your class and talk about: collections, curating an exhibition, research and writing, working with the public. Have your students develop a list of questions, including:
- What’s the best part of working in a museum?
- What are the challenges?
- How did you get started in museum work?
- What is your favorite part of the collection, favorite object, or favorite exhibit?
If you develop an interest in a certain type of museum, there are web resources and directories for research. Here are a few:
- Find out about historic house museums (American Association for State and Local History).
- Visit zoos (Association of Zoos and Aquariums).
- Check out African American museums (Association of African American Museums).
- Have fun at children's museums (Association of Children's Museums).
- Retrace history at railroad museums (Association of Railway Museums).
- Play and learn at science centers (Association of Science-Technology Centers).
- Discover Jewish museums (Council of American Jewish Museums).
- Explore maritime museums (Council of American Maritime Museums).